English Teachers

Teaching Dual Credit English Courses
in Indiana High Schools


Teach Dual Credit Indiana is funded to pay for graduate courses and textbooks for teachers who would like to be credentialed to teach dual credit courses identified in the Indiana Liberal Arts Priority Dual Credit Crosswalk. Refer to the Indiana Department of Education website to view the complete list of courses.

The following are a few examples of the course titles that you could become credentialed to teach through Teach Dual Credit Indiana:

IDOE Course Title Postsecondary Course Title
Advanced Composition OR English 12 Composing Research
English 11 OR English 12 English Composition
English 11 OR English 12 English Composition I
Advanced Composition OR English 12 English Composition II
Advanced Composition OR English 11 OR English 12 Freshman Writing II
Advanced English/LA-College Credit Introduction to Literature
Advanced English/LA-College Credit Literary Interpretation
English 12 Reading, Writing, and Inquiry I
English 12 OR Advanced Composition Rhetoric and Argument (Honors)
Advanced Composition, English 11 OR English 12, Expository Writing Rhetoric and Composition I: Literacy and the Self
English 11 OR English 12 Rhetoric and Writing

Why Teach Dual Credit Courses

Why are dual credit courses important to Hoosier students?
Students who take dual credit courses in high school are more likely to go to college after high school, save money on college, graduate on time or early from college, and perform better academically while in college. See the Indiana Commission for Higher Education’s compelling data here

Did you know?
Indiana law currently requires each Indiana high school to offer a minimum of two dual credit courses.

Why do teachers need to take graduate courses to become credentialed to teach dual credit?
Beginning in September of 2025, high school educators teaching dual credit courses will be required to have a master’s degree in the content area they teach or a master’s degree in another area plus 18 graduate credit hours in the content area they teach. These requirements are set by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), the accrediting body for degree-granting institutions in 19 states. 

Still have questions?